to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Appalling service from migration helpline

HarlowAC
forum member

Harlow Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 193

Just spoken to a client who rang the helpline a few weeks ago as had received a migration notice.
She had lots of questions about TP etc but also mentioned that her son is 19 and in FT education.
The advisor could not answer any of her questions. He used a ‘group chat’ and said that 6 of his colleagues also couldn’t answer. No one picked up on the relevance of her son’s age.
She rang again today and spoke to three different advisers.
She explained that the notice should be deferred as child 19.
They all said they didn’t know what she was taking about, it doesn’t matter how old your child is and insisted she had to claim by the deadline or she would lose her benefits and TP.
She finally got the last adviser to google 19 years old in FT education who found what she is talking about and deferred her migration notice.
He had been in the job two weeks and knew nothing about this policy but, to be fair, neither did his colleagues.
Frightening.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3570

I’ll send that example to the UC engagement team - let me know if you have others

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1974

This certainly stands in stark contrast to the great confidence shown by DWP in its own ability to advise claimants.

In a recent meeting which I requested owing to the multiple support needs of the claimant, I was in effect asked why I was making such a fuss, the helpline would sort everything out. But first of all they have got be alert to all the problems inherent in the query, and to the best solutions -  which, as per the above, they probably aren’t.